Posted on July 23 2018
Did you know bananas are a good treat for your fur baby? They are high in fiber, magnesium, and multiple vitamins.
The fiber can help your dog if he/she is having any gas problems and the magnesium can promote bone growth and help the body produce protein and absorb vitamins.
Kiara used to love bananas. She still thinks she does but some days she regrets the thought.
(I hope you forgive me for the slight blur, she was insisted on eating the banana whole!)
When I peel a banana she gets all excited and sits and waits while I eat it. I give her the very last bite.
But some days when I give her that bite, she spits it back out. I’m not sure if it’s a texture thing or what. Then other days she will eat it right up, just like she always used to.
There are multiple ways you can add bananas to your dog's diet. Try a few out and see which your dog likes best.
Ways to add bananas to your dog’s diet:
- Mash it and mix it into his/her food
- Stuff it in a toy such as a Kong. You could even try freezing it in the toy too!
- Dehydrate it using the following method…
Dried Banana Dog Treats
There are actually a couple of ways you can go about this.
You can slice the banana to end up with banana chips or you can cut the banana lengthwise to get more of a stick-like treat.
- 1-2 bananas
- Lemon juice (optional)
- Parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 210F
- Peel and cut the banana either into slices or lengthwise (if lengthwise, I recommend cutting in half first so they aren't too long)
- Lay the pieces on a cookie sheet that is lined with parchment paper
- Brush each piece of banana with lemon juice to prevent browning (optional, I don't use it)
- Bake for about 1.5 hours
- (You can bake it for longer if you want it to be more of a crunchy treat)
- Let cool then let your fur babe test them out! You can too!
(As you can see, I didn't use lemon juice so the bananas browned quite a bit. But Kiara doesn't care what they look like.)
Join us in the Facebook group for Crazy Dog Moms and share a picture of your fur babe trying their new banana treats!
*Please consult your veterinarian before adding to or changing your dog's diet